Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Food Rut

We've gotten in a bit of a food rut around here. Seems like I'm making the same 4 meals every week. I love that so many of my dishes allow for left overs but the flip side of that is those dishes get played quicker because we have them twice a week instead of just once. I have other dishes in my repertoire and,while I like them, they are ones that I get sick of easily. After a couple weeks of not making these they are out of sight and out of mind. Before I know it, we're in a rut.

These ruts are actually a bit of a blessing because whenever we get in one I pick up my cookbooks and start reviewing my food pins on Pinterest in search of new dishes. I'll find 3 or 4 dishes that are good possabilities to try out and, if all goes well, I'll have 1 or 2 that work out enough that I can adjust them into something we both like.

The whole process is tricky because hubby and I are both kinda picky eaters. Neither of us eat meat. We don't like anything pickled or fermented. I can't handle the texture of tofu. Hubby doesn't like tomatoes and he won't eat anything with onions in it. I have yet to meet a recipe that hasn't required adjustments to make it work. I adjust not only to meet our weird food issues but also because so many vegetarian recipes are not hearty enough to be full meals, at least the tofu free recipes are that way. I add some things, I take some things out, and soon the recipe is mine and it's much better than anything published.

So here I go. Diving into the cookbooks in search of the next food gem to add to my repertoire. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment