Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2016

My Migraine Tell Revealed

After several years of living with chronic migraines, I discovered that I have a migraine tell. You know, something I do when the pain is ramping up or when I'm simply in bad shape. I tend to do it more when I'm also trying to hold it together for other people so they don't know just how bad I'm doing. You know how it is, you are out with people and suddenly you find yourself feeling worse and worse but you continue to smile and try to hold a basic conversation while implementing a graceful exit.

So here is my secret migraine tell: I run a finger, usually my middle finger, along an eyebrow.

I think the impulse to do this is stems from all the eye pain, pressure and photophobia I experience prior to and during a migraine attack. Plus, it might also be a subconscious way to sooth and acknowledge the pain I'm having despite the show I'm putting on for others.

I often question the wisdom of pretending, for anyone's sake, that I'm not suffering as much as I am. I do it because that's the impulse I have. I don't know what the right or wrong thing is to do, but this is what I do.

Do you have a migraine tell? I would love to hear about it.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely touch my head and neck more when things start getting fired up. Rubbing the back of my neck, pressing a knuckle into my temple, massaging my jaw, rubbing my forehead, the worse I feel the less able I am to keep my hands off my head. And then sometimes I put my head down in weird places. Like, the dinner table at thanksgiving. Lol...

    ReplyDelete