Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2014

MD vs DO - I think I'll try a D.O. Next Time

After the terrible experience I had with the new doc on Tuesday, hubby and I got to talking. We are both pretty frustrated by the current medical machine that doesn't actually seem to support health in any meaningful way and doesn't approach people as indivuals or human beings. Yeah, yeah, I get that docs are well meaning and the the problems are systemic and complex, blah, blah, blah. There is nothing I can do about any of that and frankly, I don't care what the reasons are behind it.

I'm so damn sick of docs typing furiously or searching for referrals online while I'm trying to talk. I'm so damn sick of being asked questions but not being allowed to answer. I'm so damn sick of not being heard. I'm so damn sick of being pushed through appointments and shoved out the door without any actual progress being made. I'm just so sick of doctors. 

Anyway, hubby was telling me about a conversation he had with the trainer who teaches the exercise class he takes at work. See, hubby has been having some pains so the trainer told him about the D.O. he has been to for help with similar issues. 

I've never actually been to a D.O. and didn't really even know how they differ from a M.D. but I found great information about it on the American Osteopathic Association's website. Here is a direct quote from the page that sums up how they are different:

"DOs combine today's medical technology with their ears to listen caringly to their patients, with their eyes to see their patients as whole persons, and with their hands to diagnose and treat patients for injury and illness."

Doesn't that sound nice? Have any of you been to a D.O.?

I've seen quite a few MDs over the years. I think the time has come to give some DOs a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment