Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tension Persists

After several months of trying to get my body to release some of the physical tension it carries around continuously, I'm beginning to become discouraged. I've been practicing my relaxation techniques, doing all kinds of breathing exercises, biofeedback and the like but my body insistence on hanging on persists.
Sure, I can relax any part of my body at will - and pretty effectively according to the biofeedback measurements. But the second my focus is turned to something else the tensions return. It is simply impossible to spend the entire day focused only on keeping my muscles relaxed. Even if I could do that I can't focus on the entire body at once so there will always be a part that is tense. 

I'm even tense while sleeping. I wake up curled, twisted and sore throughout the night and then try to focus on relaxing. If that helps me get back to sleep then sure enough my body tenses again. I take a daily muscle relaxer and that allows me to get the "sleep" that I do get but obviously it doesn't help enough. 

I'm going to keep at the relaxation stuff. Maybe one day I'll have a breakthrough and my body will respond more. Maybe in the meantime I'll put this on my list of things to talk about with my neuro doc in August. 

Do you struggle with this kind of thing? What do you do?

1 comment:

  1. I'm tense all the time unless I'm crafting. I think that (and being at the beach)is the only thing(s) that relax me.

    ReplyDelete