Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Unexpected Blessings

Living with chronic pain has changed all aspects of my life. While the vast majority of those changes have been negative, some have turned out to be unexpected blessings. 

Blessing 1: I'm now a housewife. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I never would have chosen to stay home as a childless woman. Chronic pain may have forced my hand but it turns out I get a good amount of satisfaction from my role as a homemaker. It also eliminated the stress caused by my husbands complete lack of basic domestic skills and inability to even recognize a mess. As an added bonus he appreciates not having to deal with these kinds of tasks. 

Blessing 2: I've been motivated by my health situation to change how I eat. Becoming a vegetarian and learning how to prepare healthy meals has been a great thing for both of us. I'm continually reworking new recipes to suit our tastes. Now, it's certainly possible I would have wanted to do this eventually even if I never had chronic migraines but I wouldn't have had the time and energy if I was still working. 

Blessing 3: I know that our sweet little Chihuahua is thrilled that I'm home with her all day. We will never be a multiple dog household but dogs are pack animals who don't want to be alone. This may be especially true of little lap dogs who become super attached to their humans. Super attached is the perfect way to describe our relationship. She wants nothing more than to snuggle up to me all day, every day. I love her dearly and am pleased that she doesn't have to spend much time alone. 

Really I'll use any excuse to show pictures of her. 

Have you experienced any unexpected blessings as a result of your chronic pain?

No comments:

Post a Comment