Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

No Super Bowl For Me

Did you hear? The Super Bowl is tonight.

Pregame coverage has been hard to miss. Seems everyone has been reporting and speculating on everything from Vegas odds to outrageous ticket prices; from deflate-gate to commercials. The stores are packed with people stocking up on beer, soda, potato chips and the like. People are wearing team gear and gathering to watch the game. I almost feel like I should care, but I don't. 

Maybe I could get excited if hubby was a big fan of one of the teams playing, or if the game didn't go on for over 3 hours, or if I felt like the NFL was a good organization. As it is, I just can't get into it. 

Sitting on the couch this afternoon, trying to recover from yet another migraine, I sort of feel like a grouchy old woman complaining about the world around her. I would even bet most people would find me a real buzz-kill. But the truth is, I just don't have the energy to get excited about these sorts of cultural events anymore. Living with chronic migraines and fibromyalgia has forced me to edit my life. I simply can't take part in most of our social and cultural norms. I must carefully select what I do, only the most important events making the cut. 

The Super Bowl just doesn't make the cut. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm Sammie. I've just fully 'come out' on my blog about having chronic migraines - wasn't quite ready to share the Fibromyalgia etc just yet. I've read tomorrow's blog of yours as well. Curate is an inspired choice of word. I most certainly don't want to be a drain on you, but it is nice to have found someone who I can really relate to. The unpredictability of life with Migraine alone is so tough - I've given up saying yes to invites. My closest friends and some family members get it and leave an open invitation for me to join them. I hate letting people down. So I try to make the most of the good days - better days is more appropriate. Hang in there, I truely believe every cloud has a silver lining. Sammie

    ReplyDelete