Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mental Health Toolbox


While I may not have the assistance of a therapist I have some tools in my toolbox to help sway myself towards good mental health. Here are a few:

1. Have a date with my husband: Sometimes just getting out of the house and doing something normal, with my husband, among the living, just helps me to feel like I'm a part of that.

2. Give myself a perspective check: I try to regularly sit down with my feelings to check them against logical thought. This evaluation process can help me put things in perspective and weed out the feelings that are justified from those that are overreactions. It can even aid in retraining some of those reactions.

4. Blog: I only recently started this blog, but over the past few months I've noticed that the process of blogging and reading the blogs of others like me has helped me to feel connected. Blogging provides me with a positive task to do and an outlet for all the craziness that's going on.

3. Laugh: Life can just get so darn serious. Laughing really helps me to achieve a more relaxed and content state of mind. I couldn't do this without some laughs.

What tools do you have in your toolbox of good mental health?

3 comments:

  1. Blogging has been a good outlet for me, and also reminds me as sad sack as I get there is always someone else out there with worse problems yet with a positive attitude - sorta keeps me on course! I have enjoyed reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks WinnyNinnyPooPoo! I'm so glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore blogging and the great support I get from my girls, like YOU!!!! I love, love, love the perspective check. Every now and again I even irritate myself because I know better than to think what I am thinking but I do it anyway. So I let myself feel it and either blog it out or write poetry!! Great advice!!!

    ReplyDelete