Thursday, October 27, 2011

Glad to be Done

Well I survived my first disability appointment, though it was a frustrating process. The woman who was interviewing me was pretty cold. There was absolutely no pleasantries or human-like interactions, not even a hello. But that wasn't even the most frustrating part. She kept insisting on me giving her some pretty specific information that I simply didn't have.

For example the date of my first appointment at the Mayo Clinic. I tried to explain to her that I would have been 5 or 6 years old and simply had no way of knowing when that FIRST appointment was but that when they called for my records from them, the records would reflect all of that. She asked for a paycheck stub from my last job but that was 2 years ago and those stubs have long ago been shredded. The business has since gone under so I can't exactly call and try to track this info down.

I never imagined I would need such specific information so my record keeping over the years mostly just included months and years of jobs that I had, and tests that I had done.

Mostly, I'm just glad to have that part over with. Now I wait for the next step and keep my fingers crossed.


  1. wow, that is frustrating. I am sorry you didn't get a very helpful person for this. Let's hope that step two is much better for you.


  2. They seem to build FRUSTRATING into the framework of these interviews! I'm glad you survived! Cheers!

  3. Hubby went through all of the process re: long term disability when he could no longer work because of his MS.

    Different personality/compassion - free staff would call him weekly, always asking the same questions. I think they were trying to find inconsistencies in his story....just waiting for him to slip up. He never did and he managed to remain polite and kind to whomever was on the other end, though inside he was screaming at such obnoxious interrogation.

    His story never changed because it was true from the first call. After five months, he finally and a face to face meeting to do the paperwork and was approved for disability. He still needs to have a full physical yearly with the results sent to the insurance company - even after all these years.

    I think for my husband the key was keeping his cool even when they were being almost rude to him. I mean really - the guy is in a wheelchair. Zero. Compassion. But he kept it together and never blew up at them. For what it's worth....that was our experience.

  4. Congrats on making it thru. That woman sounds awful! Good luck with next steps.

  5. I'm sorry you had a nasty case worker. Some of them are pleasant. They already have the information she was asking for concerning your last pay...the SS department sends out earnings statements periodically. They know where you have worked and how much you made. I hope it goes better for you next time. There is usually a "next time" as they almost always deny the first application for disability.

  6. I'm sorry you had such a difficult case worker. I actually had an attorney that did a lot of the leg work (I'd done the insane job of keeping and organizing records), but that was because we were dealing with my car accident stuff, too.

    I actually had more of a difficult time with my previous work's LTD. Like with Sue's husband, I think they were looking for inconsistencies.

    Good luck, dear.