Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Blessings and Distractions

Life with chronic migraines is hard - very hard. It has taken so much from me, but I still have plenty to be thankful for. I still have so much.

I have a wonderful husband and a couple super cute animals. I have clothes on my back, food on the table, shampoo in the shower, a roof over my head, blankets on a bed and Internet under said roof. I even have projects to keep me occupied. 

Finding things to be thankful for is the easy part. Finding a way to focus on my many blessings is the tough part most of the time. The pain can be so big that seeing past it is a real challenge. On my worst days the best I can do is distract myself. The rest of the time I can usually talk myself into remembering my blessings. The trouble is that it's just so easy for that mountain of pain, confusion, nausea and such to pop back up and block out those blessings. 

Distractions are great for taking the focus off whatever pains and such that I'm having but they don't do much to help me focus on all that I do have. I guess the very nature of distractions is that they are not discriminating. They distract you from both what you don't want to think about and what you ought to think about. I guess I ought to find more tools in my toolbox so that I don't have to lean so heavily on distracting myself. 

Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Distractions are great for dealing with pain. It is difficult to focus on anything else but dealing with the pain, and trying to block it. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'more tools in my tool box'. You can tell me on FB :) and I'll see if I can offer any suggestions :D

    Hope you feel good this weekend!

    ReplyDelete