Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sunglasses for the Sensitive

Like most people with migraines I am very sensitive to lights. Even as a child with episodic migraines I always preferred dim lights. This sensitivity has only intensified since my migraines went chronic. I take lots of precautions to help me cope.

-I wear sunglasses even on cloudy days
-I wear loose fitted hats to shield my eyes
-I put room darkening curtains up so I can control how much sunshine comes in
-I don't make plans that include me being outside for extended periods of time during the day

In an effort to better cope, I've been wanting to make a change in my sunglasses. Right now, the only pair that I can wear for any length of time is super old and is falling apart. Making matters worse the lenses are not very dark and are not very big. The only reason why I continue to wear them at all is because they are the only pair I've ever owned that doesn't pinch my head, triggering a migraine. 

Having finally reached the point where I don't want to deal with the old pair anymore AND since I no longer care about the aesthetic of the fashionable sunglasses that are everywhere I decided to get a pair of those wrap around sunglasses that are made to be worn over prescription glasses. A pair like these:
My grandpa used to wear something like this back in the day. Other than the obvious full coverage that these offer, I imagine the ear pieces will be more gentle as they are made to fit over another pair of glasses. The trouble is that I have yet to find them in stores. I know I can find them on Amazon.com but I would much rather buy them someplace where I can try them on. 

What kind of shades do you wear? Have you ever seen these? I don't suppose you remember where? Have you ever tried them yourself?

1 comment:

  1. I have a number of different pairs of sunglasses (like you said, they're an essential), but the most important criteria for me is that they must all be dark.

    I haven't purchased mine yet simply because I don't wear my glasses during the day very often, but my mom has an awesome pair of comfortable fit over wrap arounds that are also incredibly cute. And come in purple (Migraine awareness, you know).

    http://www.amazon.com/Fitovers-Eyewear-Aurora-Sunglasses-Purple/dp/B003A8CGY2/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1375154504&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete