Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

I Want To Be Entertained By Commercials


Commercials - we all hate them. They are loud, obnoxious, annoying interruptions to all the programs we love watching on TV and online. Even short video clips are now attached to commercials. I know they serve some important purposes: providing revenue, informing the public about upcoming events. And they serve some less important purposes: announcing sales, helping to establish brand recognition and letting people know about new products or services. Blah, blah, blah...

When it comes down to it commercials bother me. Every time I sit down to watch a program (except all the wonderful programs on Netflix - oh how I love Netflix) I am forced to endure 18-20 minutes of commercials per hour. Often seeing the same 6 or 7 commercials repeatedly in that time frame. While I'm annoyed by the very interruption, I'm even more annoyed because most commercials are terrible; from the grating political attack ads to those over-the-top local car dealerships ads.

Every now and then a clever or funny commercials makes it into the mix. Here is a Geico ad that's running right now that spoofs horror movies:


I actually don't mind watching this. Even though I've seen it numerous times, it still makes me smile and chuckle to myself. Call me crazy but I want to be entertained by commercials. Life is hard enough. I don't want the added stress of hateful or obnoxious ads. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all the ads were light and fun like this one? Do you have a favorite?

1 comment:

  1. I remember the where's the beef one from the 1980's that Wendy's ran with the little old lady asking where the beef was. I laughed every time I saw it. it was great. i really wish commercials were funny like that. i would not be so annoyed by them.

    heather

    ReplyDelete