Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

Projects in a Time of Chronic Pain

This time last year our house looked like this:

The walls were up but we had no roof.
I can hardly believe we've been living here for 10 months already. Over that time, we've been slowly getting more and more settled in and at some point along the way this structure has really started to feel like our home. Although, I've been a little surprised at how slowly the decorating process has gone. I guess I was overly optimistic about how long it would take me to make decisions and carry out the tasks. Maybe even underestimating just how much would need to be done.

The way I see it, this slow progress is actually a good thing. I'm loving every moment of it and think I will actually be a little sad when I'm done. Obviously I'll be happy to have it done but I will miss the doing - does that make sense? Anyway, the slow progress is also good on the budget. Not only are we stretching our purchases out over a long period of time, but I'm also taking my time searching for great pieces at great bargains. 

The Point:
So much of my life is consumed by my symptoms. Each and every moment that pulls my focus away from all that crap is a true gift. I may not be able to do much, I may struggle everyday with my health/pain, but I am still living, still moving forward and accomplishing things. Granted, I may be accomplishing at a rate much slower than healthy women my age but that doesn't really matter. My journey through this life has nothing to do with the journey of any other. 

I'm so lucky that I'm still able to do things, no matter how slowly I do them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment