Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

There Is No Typical Day In My #ChronicLife


A couple months ago I did a 48 hour #ChronicLife, live-tweeting experiment. The experience has stuck with me. As I continue to reflect on that time, I've been thinking a lot about how my chronic migraines and fibromyalgia manifest in such varied ways from day to day. 

The variables are too numerous to count. I experience several different types of migraines and all can occur with varied levels of intensity. I experience fibro pain in different parts of my body on different days and with varied levels of intensity. I experience a whole bunch of other symptoms associated with both conditions at varied time and varied intensity. Then, there are times when the symptoms compound during a long stretch of intense pain. Sometime the migraines and the fibromyalgia team up against me. 

Basically, there is no typical day.

You know, part of me was thinking that this 48 glimpse into my life would be a great way to show people what it's like to be me. What I learned is that while the 48 hours was an honest and open look at those 48 hours, it certainly didn't tell the whole story. There is no way any 48 hour period of time could do that because it just isn't enough time for me to experience all the vast number of scenarios that make up my chronic life. 

I guess this is why I have such a hard time answering the question I always get from doctors - tell me about your migraines. Well, where do I even begin and where does it end. Most doctors are only going to pay attention to the first couple of things you say. But that's a whole separate issue, isn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment