Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Moving On #NMAM #NMAMBC


I'm having a difficult time focusing on today's blogging challenge prompt, which is about the best approach when it's time to move onto a new doctor. The reason being that yesterday afternoon I received a notice by mail from my doctor's office that he was leaving the practice and that I was being randomly assigned to a new doc. 

This has completely thrown me. I was just getting established with this new doc, who I really liked and now I don't even know what's going on. And, of course, I can't seem to reach a person at the office.

Oddly enough, I'm being forced to move on when I don't want to.

BUT, more often we find ourselves making the decision to move on for various reasons. When this happens I tend to take one of two approaches depending on how involved I am with the doc. 
 
Approach 1: Just search out a new doc, make an appointment and never return to or give reason to the old doc. I do this when I've only seen a doc for a short time or if they have done something really unacceptable to me. I just feel like it's not worth the effort to try to explain myself.

Approach 2: Have a conversation with the old doc. If I have had a good working relationship with a doc and respect their opinion I will ask them to suggest a next step with me, another doc to go see. I figure any doc worth their salt won't have a problem with this.

What approach do you take?

"National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com."

1 comment:

  1. Moving on to a new doctor...........well that one was easy for me. I had a HS within my city....a few miles away. Within 5 minutes of him coming into the exam room, I knew immediately I would dislike him. He came in with a mug of coffee and breathing this onto me when he did the initial exam that all Neurologist give (looking at your pupils). Then to further aggravate me, he prescribed me NO medication but just vitamins. I went straight home and researched how far away was the next HS. This one was in another city but I was willing to drive the distance for hopes of a better turnout.

    Unfortunately, HS are not like GP's (family doctor) where you can "shop" around until you find one you like. I read on someone's blog recently that there are 290 HS in the U.S. For the 30 million PLUS sufferers of migraines/headache disorders, that is scary. That means some of us do not even have the option of seeing a HS and/or have to deal with one we are not comfortable with.

    Then there are some of us whom have tried all sorts of medications and still suffer and question, "How is another HS going to be different from any of the others?"

    Trying to keep Faith & Hope!

    ReplyDelete