Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

8 Popular Things I Don't Like

I often find myself perplexed by the things that become wildly popular in our culture. Perhaps I'm odd or perhaps I'm just a hater but there is a long list of things I don't like that it seems like most people love.

Granite Countertops: Boy, you can't watch any home improvement or house hunting shows these days without hearing people parrot the necessity of granite counters. Everyone wants granite these days. Obviously, they generally have a pleasing aesthetic but I would never actually buy granite for my home. Why? Because there are other stone surfaces that are better suited for the kitchen and bathroom while still maintaining that aesthetic. Yet somehow granite has become a status symbol - the go to countertop. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

The Beach: Is there anything more universal than a beach vacation? Isn't that what we are all supposed to dream about, salivate over and strive for? Images and sounds of the beach are supposed to calm and relax us - becoming so overused it's practically a cliche by now. Honestly, I wouldn't care if I ever spent another minute on a beach. The inescapable heat and humidity, the filthy sand that sticks to everything, the painfully bright sunshine, the salt water, the crowds, the sting and stink of sunscreen, the bags of stuff you have to drag along with you in an effort to be more comfortable, the mind numbing boredom of sitting on the beach all sweaty and uncomfortable...this is all that comes to mind when I think of the beach.

Sushi: This stuff is wildly popular and I just don't understand why. The very idea of eating slimy, raw fish is hard enough to stomach. Add to it the risk of sushi being contaminated with bacteria, viruses and/or parasites when it hasn't been properly handled - and you never know how it has been handled. THEN add on the mercury content. Frankly, even if I liked the taste and the texture, which I don't, I wouldn't want to take my chances with sushi.

Real Housewives of anywhere: These "housewives" are wrong on so many levels. They are grown women who have way too much money, no respect for anyone, no perspective at all and they behave like out-of-control, spoiled, overprivileged, crazy people. They should be so ashamed of the way they behave. I think they are terrible examples of what a woman is and what a housewife is. My only hope is that young women who watch will see them as a warning and not role models.

Salt: We sure love salt in this country. It's in everything. I get that sodium is used to preserve most foods at the store but then we go and add in more of it for "flavor". Chips actually do have a flavor, as do fries, nuts, crackers, all foods really. I prefer to taste my food. If you need to jazz something up dip it in hummus or sprinkle herbs to add flavor. Marketing professionals have even discovered that people will pay more for something by simply adding "with sea salt" to a package. Can you imagine buying chips, crackers, nuts or french fries without salt? Well, that's what I try to do whenever possible. Why? Because I don't like the taste and anything that is salted - it just tastes like salt. But you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find these products without salt.

U2: Somehow I feel like I'm not part of the human race because I don't like U2. Okay, well I do like a couple of their songs - just a couple. That is not nearly enough for me to think of them as one of the best bands. I could name 50 artists and bands that I prefer over U2. I would never buy an album and certainly wouldn't go to a concert. They just don't move me and that's really what I want out of my music. You should see the reactions I get when I say I don't like U2. People just can't believe it.

Roller Coasters, Action Movies, Horror Movies and War Scenes: I lumped these all together because I don't like them all for the exact same reason. Very simply, I don't like to be scared or tense. That's not fun for me on any level. It's physically painful. Yet, most people love the thrill of these.

Sunshine: Who doesn't love a sunny day or a bright, well lit room? Over here - that would be me. This is 100% because of my chronic migraines. For me, a sunny day is an indoor day and the best kind of room is one where I can control the amount of sunlight that comes in. I totally get that sunshine is essential to the survival of almost every living thing on Earth so I don't wish it away. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.






No comments:

Post a Comment