Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Still Not Ready To Increase The Number Of Pills I Take

You may remember I've recently started going to a DO. Well, he suspects that part of the reason I'm having so much trouble gaining weight is that my body is actually having trouble absorbing food. I'm not entirely convinced that's why I'm struggling with my weight but I do suspect my body is struggling with some of the foods I eat - but that's a whole separate issue. In an effort to encourage my digestive system to behave better he has wanted me to try a few different supplements. Things like digestive enzymes, specific probiotics and the like.

I don't have a problem doing this. I refuse to try a bunch of medications without getting a specific diagnosis and some degree of certainty that the medication will solve my problem but I don't see the harm in trying the stuff he wanted me to try. If it helps, great. If it doesn't, no biggie.

The trouble is that, even after a year and a half, my body is still not ready to start taking more pills. Sure I still take pills every day, some days more than others, but I've been taking the bare minimum. For whatever reason it didn't seem to matter that these new pills were not medications with crazy side efforts, my body just rejected swallowing more pills. Every time I would go to take them, I could feel my stomach tighten with anxiety.

For a short time I made excuses for myself - it's hard to start a new habit around the holidays because my routine is off - I'll start tomorrow - I'll start on the weekend - I'll start on Monday - maybe if I store the pills over here I will remember to take them...

Nope. I just am not ready for more pills. I would rather try to fix any digestive problems with food. Sure, it's the slow method and certainly requires more work but I think it's the best way for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment