Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Life Made Me A Fighter, Migraines Made Me A Better Fighter #MHAMBC

The blog challenge prompt for today is: Watch the Christina Aguilera video below and listen to the song lyrics. How have your migraines made you a fighter?



My life has made me a fighter. I've always had some adversity challenging me. I'm mildly dyslexic, I've always been a terrible speller, I've never been good at sports, I was awkward and a little strange as a kid, I struggled with shyness off and on, etc. I guess I just always assumed life would be a series of challenges that I would have to fight to overcome. Although I certainly never could have imagined a challenge as big as chronic pain.

When my migraines, which I had been fighting through since elementary school, went chronic I fought. Initially I fought to press on. Then I fought hard to figure out what went wrong so I could fix it. Then I fought hard to get them under control with the help of my doctors. Now I'm fighting hard to manage my symptoms so I can live the best life I can despite my chronic pain. I'm fighting to cope, to rediscover myself amid this disease.

Fighting chronic migraines has been the toughest fight of my life so far. The challenges have been profound and relentless. Now, more than 9 years in, I am a better fighter because of it. I'm now a more educated and prepared patient. I'm standing up for myself more and taking charge of my treatment. I'm learning how to handle the loss and the fear and the stress. I still have a lot of room for improvement but looks like I'll have plenty of time to hone my skills.

When it comes down to it, life is worth fighting for.



The Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is organized by the American Headache and Migraine Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment