Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Veggie Lo-Mein


Every now and then a dish comes along that really stands out and becomes the subject of salivation inducing thoughts. The rare dish that I find myself thinking about frequently year after year. The first time it happened was when I was living in Hawaii. It was in this small town on the north shore of Maui called Pa'ia back in 1996. I don't remember the name of the restaurant and it doesn't matter anyway as I learned some time ago it had closed down. The dish was a chicken caesar salad (CCS), something I had never liked before and have not liked since. This CCS was remarkably perfect and the flavors were just so unique. Even better, it left me perfectly satisfied. I was full, but not uncomfortably so, it was just right - perfect. Mmmmm!

The second time it happened was in 2006. I was visiting my husband's (then boyfriend's) parents. They had gone to the butcher and gotten really nice cuts of meat, marinated it in something really yummy, and grilled the world's best steak. I've certainly had my share of steak over the years but never really understood what the big deal was. However, this steak was so extraordinary. Maybe it was the cut, or maybe the wonderful marinade, or maybe some combination - whatever - the point is that it was fantastic!

Since I've made these big changes to my diet I feel badly that I won't be able to have that wonderful steak again. And since the restaurant in Pa'ia closed I certainly won't have the wonderful CCS again. So you can imagine how thrilled I was so find a new dish that excites me enough to be considered one of these rare dishes AND that fits within my new food standards. Best of all, this is a dish I prepare so I can eat it as often as I want. It is a simple lo-mein and vegetable stir fry. I made it for the first time just two weeks ago, and have made it 4 times since then. But I've thought about it every day. And on a day like today, as a migraines creeps into my head, I at least have had the pleasure of enjoying this perfect dish.

3 comments:

  1. What a pleasure! And I can imagine what a fresh tasty dish it would be. We might need the recipe Migrainista!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful treat to give yourself! Being over here in Korea certainly makes one want to look into a new diet plan; because as a whole Koreans are so healthy! And to find a "comfort" dish that fits within your new eating plan is like finding a gem on a crowded street. So eat up my new friend.

    I currently have no surgeries planned (truthfully, hope to never plan one again). I had brain surgery 4.5 years ago and gallbladder 3 yrs ago and that enough for me. If I found something with amazing results I might consider it. Since I am traveling this year I am trying to keep my medical needs to urgent matters only. Like the tooth I just had pulled which I believe has stirred up the nerves leaving my ear killing me. Oh Well, just another pain.

    And I need to say thank you...for just being you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I can't believe I didn't even think to include the recipe :)

    I heat 2T sesame seed oil in a large frying pan and add a head of broccoli, and 1C each of shredded carrots and green beans to the oil and cook over medium head for about 5 minutes. During that time I'm preparing lo-mein noodles. Then I add 2T peanut oil, 1/4C soy sauce, the cooked noodles, and 1T sesame seeds and cook for a couple more minutes - until everything is well mixed and coated. Easy and Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete