Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Can't We Just Skip Summer?

This month's Headache Blog Carnival topic is Summertime Survival Skills. As I sat down to put some thought into the topic this morning I ended up chuckling a bit to myself because I really only have one survival skill for the long hot, humid summers that have been a reality for the almost 5 years since I left Minnesota: avoidance.

Of course, I make sure to drink plenty of water, get enough rest, wear a hat, stay out of the sun as much as possible and the like, but those survival skills apply all year round. This time of year is just so darn miserable. Going outside is like being in a sauna. It was like that in North Carolina, in Northern Virginia and here in St. Louis too. Nothing like the Minnesota summers where the really icky days are much less frequent. Don't get me wrong, the trade off is worth it as the fall, winter and spring months are significantly better outside of Minnesota.

The only way I can figure to really cope with this crazy steam bath season called summer is to avoid it as much as possible. I try to run my errands in the morning before the worst of the heat sets in. I won't turn down a social invitation because it requires going outside some but I won't seek out plans that are outside either. I won't suggest we go mini-golfing or hiking until we've safely made it into fall weather.

The real trouble is that when the air feels this thick I can feel my head almost swell, followed by a pulsing sensation, by then, a migraine isn't far behind. Plus this weather tends to exhaust my limited energy reserves and makes me a bit crabby. I suddenly find myself wanting to just sprawl out on the sofa with ice cream, fruit and Netflix.

Yes, the only thing that makes sense here is to avoid the outdoors as much as possible. It may not be the best way to cope but it is all I can figure to do. How about you?

3 comments:

  1. I'm 125% in favor of completely skipping summer. I absolutely hate it. It just kills my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoid the outdoors unless it involves the pool or beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing...get my errands done early before it gets unbearable outside. I make my appointments in the morning during summer if possible (and vise versa for winter). If I have to be out in the heat, then a large body of water shall be available to cool off. The summer heat and humidity has always wiped me out.

    ReplyDelete