Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Yikes!

Yikes! We got our first electric bill in yesterday's mail. I was certainly expecting it to be kinda high as there was more washing of clothes and dishes involved in the move, plus StL has been under an excessive heat warning for most of the time I've been here. Still, I was kind of surprised at just how high it was.

Along with the bill we got information about the rates and such. Armed with this new information I'm now adjusting our behaviors to bring that number down for the next bill. I've gone through and replaced all the bulbs in the overhead lights, which needed to happen anyway. The electric company charges more during peak usage hours (10am to 10pm) so I'll restrict my laundry and dishwasher use as much as possible to off peak hours. I'm also going to start shutting down the computer and all the other devices (router and such)whenever we are away or when not in use for any length of time.

I imagine the gas bill isn't far behind. Our stove/oven and hot water heater both run on gas...I've never had any gas appliances so I don't know what to expect there. Hopefully it won't be the shock our electric bill was.

Do you have any energy saving tips? What kind of things do you do to save money this time of year?

3 comments:

  1. Our electric bill is always fairly high. sigh. I keep my A/C at 79, it doesn't seem like that would be cool, but compared to the temps outside it is refreshing to walk in to it.

    Your stove and water heater shouldn't use very much gas. ( in Idaho our water heater and heat were gas, and in the summer the water heater gas bill was like 13 bucks a month) Is your heat gas or electric? Gas heat can get pricey, but so can electric...

    I love cooking on a gas stove!!! I miss it so much! and you don't have drip pans that turn cruddy. The enamel on the stove is easy to clean, too. Right now I have a flat top stove, spent a fortune on the thing, and I hate it. It gets cruddy fast, and is a PITA to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't really have any tips. Though, we do have black-out/thermal curtains on all the windows, which helps with the electric bill and my migraine light-sensitivity. I'm really sensitive to temperature changes... once I get hot, I have a hard time cooling down (and vice versa). :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Della, yeah, I try to keep our temp pretty high too...though not quite that high our's is at 77. I'm glad to hear the stove and heater won't be huge gas guzzlers, but I do think our winter heat is going to be gas too...might be a cool winter:) I'm still adjusting to the gas stove...hope to love it one day too.

    Jamie, Love love love the black out thermal curtains. That's one of the first things I do when we get moved in. I honestly don't know how I managed before them.

    ReplyDelete