Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day 9 Migraine Awareness Month #MHAM

Today's blog challenge prompt is: How does living with migraine disorder impact your financial situation?

Simply put, the impact is significant but, thankfully, not devastating. From time to time I allow my mind to think about how different our financial situation would be if I hadn't lost the last 7 years of pay and career advancement as a social worker, most disturbingly what it means to our ability to save for retirement. I don't so much mind living simply and sacrificing some luxuries like cable and DVR. I don't feel compelled to always have the latest, greatest gadgets. But financial security is a big deal to me.

We're very blessed that my husband's pay has been enough to sustain us all this time. We were doubly blessed when disability kicked in last year and made a huge impact in our ability to pay the ever growing medical costs. But we have lost years of retirement contributions, we have lived in some crummy apartments and I've become an expert in the art of frugal living.

Financially speaking, things could be so much worse. Still, they could be better if not for these damn migraines. We'll never know just how much money I've lost the opportunity to earn over the years. I try not to think much about it for fear I will lose sight of just how blessed I am truly am.

June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project ofFightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment