Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Dealing With Set Backs #MHAM #MHAM13 #MHAMBC

My chronic migraines have dealt me some pretty big set backs over the past 7 years. I've lost my career, my high level of activity and involvement in the community, my verbal communication skills, my involvement in the arts...the list goes on. But the thing is, I'm still here. I'm doing what I can, when I can. I'm working hard to redefine my sense of self, to develop a new way of being. I want to live the best I can even if I have to live with chronic migraines and fibromyalgia.

The only other option is to crawl into a hole and wither away, to give into all the awful feelings (physically and emotionally) that are constantly trying to overwhelm me. I don't want this for my life. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I do get weighed down by the horror of it all and all I want to do is give in. But with lots of time and real effort I've always been able to pull out of it.

I like to think of this song by Chumbawamba when I'm working my way out of the horror:


June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project ofFightingHeadacheDisorders.com.



1 comment:

  1. Remembering that I'm still here and still fighting it was keeps me going, too. Thanks for the post. It's always nice to know we aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete