Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Discouraged

It appears last month was more of an anomaly than it was a meaningful decrease in my migraines. I've been struggling with my head basically since I posted about my last neuro appointment and how few migraines I was having in Feb. As if simply putting that hope into words was enough to make it not so. I've managed to not take many rescue meds for several days but this morning's migraine was progressing quickly so I went ahead and took them. More than 3 hours later and I'm still not getting any sort of relief.

I think I'll lay down and try to nap, at least avoiding some of the pain. Plus I'll have to be up much later than normal tonight as my husband's flight is scheduled to land at 11pm. I might do something I never do, take a 2nd triptan later if the pain continues. I never used to do it simply because I needed all 18 insurance allowed triptans just to get through the month. Now, since I'm only allowed to treat up to 9 in a month I can use more than one without penalty.

Starting the month playing the medication rationing game is so discouraging. I want my life back!

7 comments:

  1. I hope you are getting some relief now M! It is so hard to be philosophical in these discouraging times. I am sending you good wishes for some encouraging things to happen.... even little encouragements would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. :(

    I started my day by taking 2 pain pills and eventually falling asleep with an ice pack on my head....to waking with barely any relief.

    Life with chronic head pain is sometimes so freaking unbearable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so totally get where you are coming from, girl! I feel like I'm constantly playing the meds rationing game - is there an app for that? haha Hope things settle down for you. I go for my 2nd round of botox shots next Wed. Didn't work last time and I had to return for 6 occipital nerve blocks. They did help (the only things that ever has thus far). He wants to try botox again though, so we'll see. Thinking of you and walking this pain journey with ya.. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. I only have 4 triptans left and I have to make them last until the 15th of March. I could refill the prescription, but I would have to pay for it. Ick. If I wait until the 15th, my extended health care plan will cover the cost entirely - and we all know they cost a fortune.

    I really hate rationing meds.

    Ironically, just a few days after I can renew the triptans (which only work about half the time anyway), I'm having another Occiptial Nerve Block done. The last one gave me relief for three months. ~fingers crossed~

    Sorry you feel so discouraged. You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you! It has only been about a year since I stopped having chronic head pain. I don't think I've ever had a full blown migraine, but enough pain to waylay me. I hope you feel better soon.

    Hugs,
    Della

    ReplyDelete
  6. so bummed. I was hoping you were heading for a migraine remission. Hoping March goes out like a lamb headache wise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy, you're so right. I find myself clinging to small positive things. I don't ask for much.

    Jessica, I'm sorry for your pain. I hope today is better.

    Laurie and Sue, I've noticed several ladies do these occiptal nerve blocks, I'm going to do a post about it soon.

    Della, Thanks for the well wishes. Hugs back to you :)

    Winny, looks like I spoke too soon :( Such is life.

    ReplyDelete