Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Earth Day Efforts



Yesterday was Earth Day but I decided to hold off writing about it until today. I'm a big fan of our Earth, as I'm sure many of you are too. While debates rage on as to how much damage we are or are not doing to it, one thing is for sure, we take and use more than we need. This kind of behavior is everywhere in our culture and has even been spreading around the world.


I feel like this is robbing us of the connection we naturally have to ourselves and the world around us. More and more I find myself longing for simplicity, quiet, stillness and a more natural life. Don't get me wrong, I'm so very thankful for many modern amenities like indoor plumbing, clean running water from the tap, toilets, washing machines and such. I'm also extremely thankful for technologies like computers, Internet, cell phones and Netflix. I can't imagine being so far from my family and friends and living with chronic pain without these modern conveniences. But at the same time I feel like the ease of this modern life just makes it too easy to over consume.


I've made many changes over the years in an effort to be kinder to the environment and on our finances. I even have a list of things I want to do but really can't until we move away from city apartment life. Things like grow food and herbs. In the meantime I want to come up with more things I can do here and now. But I'm having a tough time coming up with stuff. The basics are sort of covered. I'm using NRG efficient light bulbs, recycling, keeping water use low and such but there must be stuff I haven't even thought about.

Have you found any creative ways to use less and be more green? I would love to hear your tricks or ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I live in the country, so composting garbage is a big one. We also feed old greens/cabbage cores etc to the neighborhood bunnies!!!

    ReplyDelete