Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Dear Santa,

This year I have several very practical things on my Christmas wish list:
- relaxation CDs
- books about meditation, relaxation and the like
- undies
- plants

Well, you get the idea. My family has told me that these are not "fun" gifts and have asked me to come up with better ideas. Here's the thing though, I'm very pragmatic and getting these kinds of things as gifts makes me happy because it means I don't have to spend money on them. What better gift is there?

I had to spend some time coming up with some gift ideas that were more "fun". After some time thinking about what I want more than what I need I couldn't help but start wishing for even more basic things. I wish I felt better. I wish I could work. I wish I had the energy to do the things I want to do.

Thinking about these wishes always makes me a little sad. I'm really working hard these days to not spend much time thinking about what I've lost and how crappy I feel most of the time. It isn't helping me to move forward and to live the best life I can. But there I was, thinking about how much my life has changed as a result of my Chronic Migraines and Fibromyalgia.

Eventually I was able to reframe my mind and I started thinking about what I really want despite the pain. Here it is:
- I want to simplify my life.
- I want to grow food.
- I want to find balance.
- I want time with my family and friends
- I want to laugh.
- I want to gain weight.

Unfortunately, these are not for sale in the stores...I guess my family is on their own coming up with "fun" gift ideas for me.

5 comments:

  1. Wow-do I ever hear and sympathize. I too am very practical and always wind up in the boat you speak of in your post.

    I cannot even come up with a "fun" gift to put on a list...

    do you enjoy pencil puzzles at all ? I like a variety of them so every few years I get a subscription to "World of Puzzles". there are nine issues a year and they last for a decade or more. When I work on a puzzle I date the page and often put a little narrative about where I am or what's happening in my life at the time. What fun to pick the issue up months, or years, later and realize that "that situation" has resolved in one fashion or another. I recently came across the issue I was working in when my sister died three years ago--the tear stains are still visible.

    Well, that got away from me, sorry...

    Anyway-how about some linen from these gift buyers ? Perhaps new hot pads for your kitchen? New dish towels and dish cloths or even bathroom towels, rug and seat cover maybe?

    Journal with a pretty cover; gift certificate to book store or online credit to Etsy; slippers or a nice robe; kitchen appliances maybe--a toaster oven or a new blender--how about an ice cream maker....

    that's all for now-two year old just showed up to be babysat for the day. Hope this helps a little..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand. I have some things on my "wish list," but they may not seem very important or "fun" to many people. But, they'd help me live a better quality life... allowing me to do more things that I enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Lantz and George Winston are great pianists and their CDs are very relaxing. Mostly it is just piano and you may like them. When I have need to relax I listen or play them (I play piano too).

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the same boat about Christmas this year. I can't think of fun gifts either. What I am most excited for is my daughter and grandkids visiting right after Christmas. I'm also just wishing to get through my cookie and candy making this year, and saving enough energy to have fun while taking the kids to LegoLand.

    For laughter...tune in to the comedy channel. Or watch kid movies...they are pretty funny. I really like the Ice Age movies!

    I wish I could help with the rest of your 2nd list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see that I am not alone in this. Thanks for the great gift ideas ladies!

    ReplyDelete