Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Tough Move Ahead



Here we go.


Summer is in full swing in northern Virginia with temperatures in the mid 90s and a heat index over 100. Between the extreme heat and humidity, the poor air quality alerts and out of control pollen level it has become near impossible to enjoy time outdoors, or anything that requires you to leave the house.


I say sarcastically, Just in time because my husband finally got the offer letter from the job in St Louis. FINALLY! This is a pretty miserable time of year to be moving, but at least we're finally moving.


We've decided that I'm going to go ahead and keep my appt at Mayo on the 8th and then go down to St Louis from there a couple days ahead of my husband, dog and all our stuff to start looking at apartments.


Relocating across the country is complicated and stressful enough all by itself. Trying to coordinate such a move when we're both in different states, far away from the state we are moving to is going to be a real bear to say to the least. For mere survival I will have to let go of many worries. My husband is simply not as careful as I am with packing. He is an arc typical male who has a different definition of clean than I do. There are lots of little things that I worry he won't be able to keep in his head because it won't seem important to him, like the broken wheel on the bottom drawer of our dresser drawer mechanism. If he doesn't notice it, it will likely be lost. I will have to just let go of these worries if I'm going to keep my sanity.


I'll be leaving in less than a week so there is a ton of stuff to do between now and then and my husband will just have to make time to take care of the rest of it. His parents have offered to come and help us with the actual moving, and I bet when they find out I won't be here for the tail end of it they will come a bit early and help him get things together here. That will relieve some of my stress.


It sort of feels like we're doing this the hardest way possible but if I don't take this appt on the 8th my doc can't see me until mid October. I just can't wait that long.

So, here we go...

6 comments:

  1. Yeah! You get move! I'm so happy for you!!!

    Now, like you said...let go of the stress. I'm sure his parents won't let him pack all willy nilly, or leave things undone, or unclean. I'm sure you won't have to worry about it.

    I'm so glad you are keeping your appt. at Mayo. I hope they have answers. My fingers and toes are crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your husband for getting the job! I'm so happy for you guys, but I understand the stress and anticipation (and the heat... we're from Texas, but in Oklahoma right now - it's gettin' hot).

    I know there's sooo much to get done, and very little time... but, try to pace yourself as much as possible. If there are certain things in your home that you're more concerned about, see if you can get at least some of them packed up before you leave. Do you think that your husband and/or in-laws would be attentive, if you were to make a list of some of the things that they need to pay careful attention of (such as the broken wheel)? If so, get a pad of paper or a spiral notebook, and start writing... once you write it down, it's no longer racing through your mind.

    I'm glad you're keeping your appointment with Mayo. I hope it goes well for you. Your health is so important. You'll be in my thoughts, as you start on this 'adventure.' Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jamie - try to pace yourself. Even if that mostly means remembering to stop and breathe (at least three full, deep breaths) to slow yourself down and check in with your body -- that would be better than nothing.

    This does seem like a lot of work. I wish you all the best as you go through it.

    And am happy that your husband got a job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you kept your appt at Mayo! And that you are finally able to make your move. Just go at your own pace and try not to stress! I know...easier said than done!

    Good luck..we are all here with you on this new journey!

    XoXoXo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the job and the move! I'll just echo everyone else and say pace yourself, do the work of packing and other details in baby steps. And book a few massages (if you're able) to help with any extra muscle pain.

    Good luck! Please keep us posted if you can.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on everything! I'm so glad everything has been falling into place with the job and at the Mayo. I wish you the best with both. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete